The Mentoring/Coaching Certificate program is designed for teachers and administrators interested in supporting teachers through mentoring. This program is open to teachers and administrators with at least three years of teaching experience and a dedication to supporting colleagues through mentoring.Cardinal Stritch University’s College of Education and Leadership will award this certificate.
Mentoring/Coaching Certificate Program
Earn 10 post-baccalaureate credits taking coursework and workshops that result in a Mentoring/Coaching Certificate. See our brochure for more information.
Why Should I Participate?
Statistics show that approximately one half of beginning teachers nationwide leave the profession within the first five years as many new teachers feel increasingly overwhelmed and under prepared. According to Wisconsin's PI-34, school districts must train mentors to provide support and assistance to initial educators.
A mentoring/coaching certificate will ensure that mentors will gain a comprehensive understanding of the knowledge and skills necessary to best serve beginning teachers.
Who Should Participate?
You are eligible to participate in the Mentoring/Coaching Certificate Program if you are a pre-K-12 educator with at least three years of teaching experience.
Course and Workshop Requirements
(See file for detailed course descriptions)
- ED 690: Understanding, Supporting & Facilitating the Spirit of PI 34 (3 credits)
- ED 642: Instructional Mentoring: Professional Development for Those Who Work With Beginning Teachers (1 credit)
- ED 643: Coaching and Observation Strategies for Working with Beginning Teachers (1 credit)
- ED 644: Analyzing Student Work to Guide Instruction with Practical Application (2 credits)
- Includes required attendance at a two-hour after school session of Mentor Forum Dialogue held six weeks after workshop
- ED 645: Designing and Presenting Professional Development to Support Beginning Teachers (1 credit)
- ED 646: Mentoring for Equity (1 credit)
- ED 64: Coaching in Complex Situations (1 credit)
- Includes required attendance at a study group follow-up
Register online for any of the workshops/courses listed above
The course credit is offered through Professional Development at Cardinal Stritch University. Each participant will receive a certificate of completion from the College of Education and Leadership. Credits can count toward electives in the Master of Science (M.S.) in Educational Leadership: Professional Learning. Credits may also be used for salary advancement, mentorship qualifications and for professional development portfolios.
The Mentoring/Coaching Certificate can be completed within one academic year, but participants have a maximum of five years to complete the program, taking into consideration the timing of the courses and workshops.
- You must first apply for admission by completing and submitting the Mentoring/Coaching Certificate Program enrollment form and mail or fax to Southeast Wisconsin New Teacher Project (SEWNTP).
Katie Kurtz, Cardinal Stritch University City Center, 1037 W McKinley Ave, Box 438, Milwaukee, WI 53205 or Fax (414) 223-0109
- Register for ED 690 Understanding, Supporting & Facilitating the Spirit of PI 34.
- Register for ED 642, ED 643, ED 644, ED 645, ED 646, ED 648 online. Please note: enrollment in the Certificate does not automatically register you for the required courses. You must register for each workshop or course individually online.
- Register for Analyzing Student Work Mentor Forums. Information provided at the Analyzing Student Work workshop.
- All registrations must be submitted two weeks prior to the course/workshop. On-site registration is not available. Please complete and submit one form for each course/workshop you plan to attend.
- At each course or training workshop, participants will receive a form to apply for the graduate credit (required for the Certificate) at the reduced fee of $160/credit.