Seminars for 1st Year Teachers
SEWNTP offers a variety of After-School Seminars to support 1st Year teachers and their mentors. This year's offerings are expanded upon below. To register, use the link at the top of the page, or visit our Register for an Event page. Contact us with any questions about the seminars or registration.
- Registration closes 2 weeks prior to each individual session; you may register for stand-alone sessions or the entire series.
- Please view our Attendance Policy before registering.
Urban Teaching Seminars
A series of four sessions designed to help teachers explore best practices in being successful educators of urban students. One graduate credit is available for attending the all four of the seminars, more information will be provided at the August 29th seminar. Topics are directed toward K-12, 1st-3rd year beginning urban educators and their mentors, but would be appropriate for any educator or administrator.
Please see our flyer for information about location and more.
Time: 5-7:30 p.m.
2013-2014 Dates and Topics
|August 29, 2013||Building Positive Relationships with Students and Families |
|September 12, 2013 ||Classroom Management, Part 1- Language and Culture|
|September 26, 2013||Classroom Management, Part 2- Systems and Procedures|
|October 10, 2013||Being a Reflective Practioner |
Community of Practice for New Educators Seminar Series
The purpose of these seminars is to:
- Provide an opportunity for mentors and beginning teachers to learn how to improve teacher practice to impact student learning in realtion to the Wisconsin Teachers Standards.
- Provide a springboard for future dialogues and work between the beginning teacher & mentor.
- Share ideas and resources with others in and across roles and experiences.
- Reflect on personal practice and set goals for growth in promoting positive classroom environments.
- The intended audience for these seminars is first-year teachers and their mentors
- Participants, please bring an Artifact of Practice to each seminar.
- These seminars are designed primarily for classroom teachers and specialst teachers, if you are pupil services personnel (ie. guidance counselor) please check with your district to see if your attendance is required.
- Each seminar will be offered at a northeast (Brown Deer High School- Thursdays) and southwest (Waukesha North High School-Mondays) location. Please choose the date & location that is most convenient for you.
Please see our flyer for more information regarding time, location, and credit information.
2012-2013 Dates and Topics
Brown Deer- Brown Deer High School
SW- Waukesha North High School
|Seminar 1||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
Brown Deer: Thursday, Sept. 19, 2013 OR
Waukesha: Monday, Sept. 16, 2013
|WTS #5- Promoting Positive Classroom Environment||WTS #5 & #7 -Organizing for Efficient Instruction|
|Seminar 2||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
Brown Deer: Thursday, Oct. 3, 2013 OR
Waukesha: Monday, Oct. 14, 2013
|WTS #6 & #10- Communicating with Parents & Families||WTS #1 & #2- The IEP: Core of the Sp. Ed. Goal-Setting Process|
|Seminar 3||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
Brown Deer: Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013 OR
Waukesha: Monday, Dec. 9, 2013
|WTS #8- Assessing Student Understanding and Achievement||WTS #8- Monitoring Student Progress Through Assessment|
| ||PDP Informational Overview immediately follows seminar (7:15-8:15 pm). Required for credit option|
|Seminar 4||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
Brown Deer: Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014 OR
Waukesha: Monday, Feb. 10, 2014
|WTS #3- Matching Instruction to Student Needs||WTS #3 & #4- Building Connections to Meet the Diverse Needs of Learners|
|Seminar 5||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
Brown Deer: Thursday, April 3, 2014 OR
Waukesha: Monday, March 24, 2014
|WTS #9- Self-Reflection and Goal Setting||WTS #9- Self Reflection and Goal Setting|
For information about first-year Teacher seminars around PI 34 and the PDP process, visit the PI 34 / PDP Support page.