Seminars for 1st Year Teachers
SEWNTP offers a variety of After-School Seminars to support 1st Year teachers and their mentors. The 2012-13 offerings are expanded upon below. To register, use the link at the top of the page, or visit our Register for an Event page. Contact us with any questions about the seminars or registration.
- Registration closes 2 weeks prior to each individual session; you may register for stand-alone sessions or the entire series.
- Please view our Attendance Policy before registering.
Register for a SEWNTP Offering
Urban Teaching Seminars
A series of eight sessions designed to help teachers explore best practices in being successful educators of urban students. One graduate credit is available for attending the first 5 seminars of the series; more information will be provided at the August 30th seminar. Topics are directed toward K-12, 1st-3rd year beginning urban educators and their mentors, but would be appropriate for any educator or administrator.
Please see our flyer for information about location and more.
Time: 5:00 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
2012-2013 Dates and Topics
|August 30, 2012||Setting High Expectations|
|September 27, 2012||Building a Strong Classroom Culture|
|October 18, 2012||Classroom Management, Part 1- Language |
|November 29, 2012||Classroom Management, Part 2- Systems|
|January 31, 2013||Building Positive Student Relationships to Increase Student Motivation|
|February 28, 2013||Delivery Strategies that Maximize Student Participation & Engagement|
|March 21, 2013||Assessing for Success|
|April 25, 2013||End with the Beginning in Mind|
Community of Practice for New Educators Seminar Series
The purpose of these seminars is to:
- Provide an opportunity for mentors and beginning teachers to learn how to improve teacher practice to impact student learning in realtion to the Wisconsin Teachers Standards.
- Provide a springboard for future dialogues and work between the beginning teacher & mentor.
- Share ideas and resources with others in and across roles and experiences.
- Reflect on personal practice and set goals for growth in promoting positive classroom environments.
- The intended audience for these seminars is first-year teachers and their mentors
- Participants, please bring an Artifact of Practice to each seminar.
- These seminars are designed primarily for classroom teachers and specialst teachers, if you are pupil services personnel (ie. guidance counselor) please check with your district to see if your attendance is required.
- Each seminar will be offered at a northeast (Brown Deer High School- Thursdays) and southwest (Waukesha North High School-Mondays) location. Please choose the date & location that is most convenient for you.
Please see our flyer for more information regarding time, location, and credit information.
Snack: 4:30- 5:00 p.m.
Seminar: 5:00- 7:00 p.m.
2012-2013 Dates and Topics
NE- Brown Deer High School
SW- Waukesha North High School
|Seminar 1||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
NE: Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012
SW: Monday, Sept. 10, 2012
|WTS #5- Promoting Positive Classroom Environment||WTS #5 & #7 -Organizing for Efficient Instruction|
|Seminar 2||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
NE: Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012
SW: Monday, Oct. 8, 2012
|WTS #6 & #10- Communicating with Parents & Families||WTS #1 & #2- The IEP: Core of the Sp. Ed. Goal-Setting Process|
|Seminar 3||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
NE: Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012
SW: Monday, Dec. 10, 2012
|WTS #8- Assessing Student Understanding and Achievement||WTS #8- Monitoring Student Progress Through Assessment|
| ||PDP Informational Overview immediately follows seminar (7:15-8:15 pm). Required for credit option|
|Seminar 4||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
NE: Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013
SW: Monday, Feb. 11, 2013
|WTS #3- Matching Instruction to Student Needs||WTS #3 & #4- Building Connections to Meet the Diverse Needs of Learners|
|Seminar 5||Gen.Ed. & Specialists Topic ||Sp. Ed. Topic|
NE: Thursday, April 18, 2013
SW: Monday, April 22, 2013
|WTS #9- Self-Reflection and Goal Setting||WTS #9- Self Reflection and Goal Setting|
For information about first-year Teacher seminars around PI 34 and the PDP process, visit the PI 34 / PDP Support page.