Doctorate in Leadership in Higher Education
To be considered for admission into the program, students must submit:
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, including evidence of master’s degree completion.
- Grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in master’s coursework
is required, but a lower GPA can be considered on an individual basis.
- Portfolio consisting of, but not limited to, the criteria listed below. Assemble portfolio in a folder. All materials should be typed or electronically produced.
This essay is an essential aspect of the admission process and will be carefully evaluated in order to make a decision on your entry into the doctoral program. Follow the guidelines carefully, addressing all items. The essay will be evaluated based on:
- Content relevance to topic proposed
- Clarity of presentation
- Maturity of style
- Maximum of six double-spaced pages
Section 1 – Leadership and Change
- Define and describe leadership.
- Give an example of how you have functioned as a leader in your position.
- Describe how you have participated in change. Describe inhibitors and facilitators of change as you perceived them.
Section 2 – Learning
- Describe your interest in creating a "learning organization."
- Describe what you have done to contribute to the creation of a "learning organization."
Section 3 – Service and Organizational Transformation
- Define what you feel is the relationship among leadership, learning, and service.
- Describe how your service has been applied to the transformation of an organization.
Section 4 – Goals for Doctorate in Leadership
- Identify goals and expectations for pursuing a Doctorate in Leadership.
- Describe how the attainment of this degree will enhance your ability to lead and transform organizations.
Applicants educated outside of the U.S. must follow academic admission procedures relating to English ability and credential evaluation described on the International Admissions webpage.