As of spring
|As of spring 2015, we are no longer accepting new applications for this program. Review our
list of degrees
for another program within this college.
To qualify for graduation from the Master of Arts (M.A.) in Literacy and English as a Second Language program, students must:
- Pass the Foundations of Reading Test
- Pass Praxis II: English to Speakers of Other Languages (0361)
- Complete master’s coursework with a 3.0 overall grade point average on a 4.0 scale with no individual grade below a "C".
- Complete and present an action research project.
- Pass key assessments in the area of planning, instruction, and assessment which are embedded into courses throughout the program.
- Obtain faculty recommendation for graduation.
- Complete all requirements for the master’s degree within seven consecutive academic years.
- ESL 503 Second Language Acquisition
- ESL 533 Bilingualism in Home and School
- RL 510 Language, Cognition & Literacy
- RL 507 Emergent Literacy
- RL 519 Word Recognition
- ESL 509 Primary Level Practicum
- RL 558 Reading and Writing with Children
- RL 559 Comprehension
- ESL 521 Assessment and Program
- ESL 520 Sociocultural Linguistics
- ESL 529 Secondary Level Practicum
- ESL 546 Linguistics
- ESL 566 Action Research