M.A. Literacy and ESL
To qualify for graduation from the Master of Arts (M.A.) in Literacy and English as a Second Language program, students must:
- Pass the Foundations of Reading Test
- Pass Praxis II: English to Speakers of Other Languages (0361)
- Complete master’s coursework with a 3.0 overall grade point average on a 4.0 scale with no individual grade below a "C".
- Complete and present an action research project.
- Pass key assessments in the area of planning, instruction, and assessment which are embedded into courses throughout the program.
- Obtain faculty recommendation for graduation.
- Complete all requirements for the master’s degree within seven consecutive academic years.
- ESL 503 Second Language Acquisition
- ESL 533 Bilingualism in Home and School
- RL 510 Language, Cognition & Literacy
- RL 507 Emergent Literacy
- RL 519 Word Recognition
- ESL 509 Primary Level Practicum
- RL 558 Reading and Writing with Children
- RL 559 Comprehension
- ESL 521 Assessment and Program
- ESL 520 Sociocultural Linguistics
- ESL 529 Secondary Level Practicum
- ESL 546 Linguistics
- ESL 566 Action Research