Application Checklist

Master of Arts (M.A.) in Special Education (Extended Certification - Online Format)

Please send all application materials to:

Cardinal Stritch University
Office of Graduate Admissions, Box 437
6801 N. Yates Road
Milwaukee, WI 53217-3985

Application for Admission to the M.A. in Special Education (extended certification - online format) program

Apply online (the application fee is waived for those who apply online).

Official Transcripts

Official transcripts (from every college or university attended) must be submitted in a sealed envelope directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions. We suggest that you request your transcripts as soon as possible. Your application cannot be reviewed until we have them in hand. It is not necessary to request transcripts for work that you completed at Cardinal Stritch University.

Pre-Requisite Coursework

Transcripts must verify completion of the following pre-requisite courses:

  • One developmental literacy course focusing on how children learn to read. If you have not already taken a developmental literacy course, you will have the opportunity to complete this requirement as part of the certification portion of the program, making the total number of credits required for certification 29 credits.
  • One introductory course on students with Exceptional Education Needs (EEN)

Two Attitude and Disposition Questionnaires

Questionnaires should be completed by individuals who know you based on a professional or academic relationship (i.e., supervisors, colleagues, advisers). 

Personal Essay

A personal essay is required and should be typed, double-spaced and two pages in length, and should address why you want to pursue a career in special education, the path you have taken to get here and the dedication you will have to the program.

Teaching License

Your valid Wisconsin teaching licensure will be verified through the Department of Public Instruction's website. If your current license is from another state, you must send a photocopy to the graduate admissions office. If your license has lapsed, or you do not have a teaching license, you must receive approval from your academic advisor to be admitted to this program.

Priority Admission

For priority admission consideration, please submit application materials by:

  • July 1 for August start date
  • December 1 for January start date

Financial Aid

Individuals interested in applying for a Federal Student Loan should follow the steps for the financial aid process.