Applying for Aid: New Students

College of Arts and Sciences
College of Education and Leadership
Ruth S. Coleman College of Nursing and Health Sciences

1) Obtain a Department of Education PIN number.

The PIN number serves as your personal identifier for several Department of Education systems. The PIN number also serves as your electronic signature. Once you have requested your PIN number, it will take approximately three days for you to receive email instruction on how to retrieve your PIN number. If you are a dependent student, your parents will need to obtain a PIN number.

Apply for a Department of Education PIN Number

2) Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

The FAFSA form serves as your application for federal, state and institutional financial aid funding. The FAFSA can be completed online, making the process quick and easy. You can complete a FAFSA or check on the status of a completed FAFSA at:

A paper application is available if you do not wish to complete the FAFSA electronically. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for the paper application.

You can use your PIN number from step one to sign your FAFSA form. You will be asked to indicate the school code of the college or university that you will be attending. Cardinal Stritch University's school code is 003837.

Learn more about the FAFSA and complete the application online.

3) Complete all paperwork requested by Stritch's Financial Aid Office.

After you have completed the FAFSA, the federal government will send you and Stritch a copy of the processed application, called a Student Aid Report (SAR). From the SAR, Stritch will determine if additional paperwork is required to complete your financial aid application.

It is important to keep track of where you are in the financial aid process to ensure that your financial aid arrives on time. The Financial Aid Office will assist you with this process by sending you reminders of what paperwork is needed to complete the financial aid process. You can also view online what paperwork has been received and what paperwork is still needed to complete the financial aid process.

To view online what paperwork is needed to complete your financial aid application, please refer to Online Aid Services. After you are logged in, please be certain that you have accessed the correct year from the drop-down menu at the top of the screen.