Since 1943, the Reading Center has helped more than 20,000
children improve their reading abilities. In part, we credit this success to
teaching that is based on proven, research-based principles. But we also
recognize that there is no one way to teach a child. So we use a thorough
evaluation and continuing assessment of progress to plan for instruction
designed to meet the student's needs.
Some of the Reading Center’s historical highlights include:
- 1943: Stritch opens a reading clinic in the basement
of the education building.
- 1956: Stritch begins a program of studies leading to
one of the nation's first master's degrees in reading.
- 1967: A separate building for the reading clinic --
one of the first of its kind in the U.S. -- opens its doors.
- 1983: The highly successful clinic is renamed the
Reading/Learning Center to acknowledge its clinical, developmental and
- 2007: The School of Urban Initiatives within the College of Education and Leadership expands its outreach to settings strategically
chosen to serve the highest need neighborhoods in Milwaukee: the Urban Literacy Center at Stritch’s City Center and the
Urban Literacy Center at MPS’s Townsend Street School.
- 2012: The Literacy
Centers expand to two additional sites: Lincoln Center of the Arts
on Milwaukee’s lower east side and
Greentree/Teutonia Community Learning Center on the city’s north side.
- 2013: The Literacy Center expands to Vincent High School on
Milwaukee’s north side.
- 2014: The Lincoln
Center of the Arts moved to Madison High School in the Fall of 2014. A summer
4-week science and literature program began at the City Center location as a GEAR-UP site.
- 2017: The Literacy Center in Glendale begins offering Math assessment and tutoring services for students in grades K-12. Reading assessment and tutoring is also now offered at the Leana Sommers' Youth and Teen Literacy Center at the St. Ann Center for Intergenerational Care on Vliet Street.