The Cardinal Stritch University Library is designated primarily to meet the informational needs of university students, faculty, and staff. While the library is available for use by other patron groups, access and services are more limited. In order to borrow library material, application should be made for a library borrower card.
About the Alumni library card
Alumni may apply for limited borrowing privileges that are valid for one year from the date of issue and may be renewed annually.
In order to access library borrowing privileges, alumni must first obtain an alumni card from the Cardinal Stritch University Alumni Association. Library privileges must be applied for in person and the alumni card must be presented at the time of application so that a library barcode associated with the applicant's library account may be added to the card.
Card holders must present their alumni card with the library barcode and a photo ID indicating current address in order to borrow library materials. Alumni are responsible for all materials checked out to their library account. Library privileges are not transferable. Alumni library account holders, by signing the alumni borrowing privileges application, are agreeing to observe Cardinal Stritch University library policies. Failure to abide by all regulations can result in withdrawal of borrowing privileges.
Obtaining an alumni library card
- Obtain an alumni card from the alumni association.
- Complete an alumni borrower application form and return to the circulation desk.
Users may either print a blank form and fill it out by hand, or fill the form out inside of Adobe Reader and then print the form. To print the form, use the print form button found on the upper right hand portion of the form.
- Authentication of alumni status and paperwork will be completed by staff.
- The alumni card will be prepared with a library barcode and returned to the borrower.
Alumni Borrowing and Loan Rules
Alumni account holders may use print materials in the library including reference books, periodicals, newspapers, and microforms. Reference service is also available; however, Cardinal Stritch University students, faculty, and staff have priority for reference consultation and use of other limited resources such as access to library workstations.
- Alumni Card holders may have up to 10 items checked out at one time.
Borrowing from the SWITCH Library Consortium
Cardinal Stritch University is a member of a consortium called SWITCH that shares library resources among a number of private colleges in Southeastern Wisconsin. With CSU alumni borrowing privileges, you have access to the general print circulating collections available at these institutions. These collections are searchable in our online catalog. In addition to the specific material restrictions listed below, there may be other special or local collections or formats from these consortium libraries that are restricted from use with a CSU alumni library account.
Restricted Services and Facilities
The following services and facilities are not available to alumni:
- Interlibrary Loan (Alumni borrowers are encouraged to request these services from their local public library for any items researched at CSU)
- Materials in special collections, such as items on reserve for classes being checked out of the library.
- Group study rooms.
- Online databases or other services that have license restrictions barring use outside of the current faculty, staff, and students of the university.
- Regular library instruction workshops.
- Loan of laptop computers, iPads, and other computing equipment.