Service Category: Library Donations and Gifts
Name of Service: Library Donations and Gifts
Who is eligible to use this service?
Anyone can donate to the library; however not all items will be accepted
When is this service available:
Donations may be accepted whenever the library is open.
Whenever the library is open or by going to the donations web page(see below for link)
Name: David Weinberg-Kinsey
Title: Director of University Library
one means of developing the library collection. Cardinal Stritch University
welcomes and actively solicits gifts when they support the teaching, research
and other needs of the University. The Library is particularly interested in
materials which will enhance the strength of the existing collection and
support the instructional and research programs of the University.
donations are accepted with the understanding that the Library becomes the
owner of the material and, as such, reserves the right to determine retention,
location, cataloging treatment, and other considerations relating to use or
disposition. (The term "use" includes possible digitization of materials). If
a donation is declined, potential alternatives or institutions will be
suggested whenever possible. Items not added to the collection may be used in
exchange programs with other libraries, or donated to other groups and/or
charities as the Library sees fit. If donor chooses to keep certain items not
included in the collection, this should be indicated on donation form.
Items not accepted:
- Outdated textbooks, books, materials in poor
condition (including underlining/highlighting).
- Duplicate copies of
most materials library already owns
- Popular magazines and other
similarly inappropriate materials
Offers of journals will only be
accepted after the need for the journal has been established. Paperbacks and
popular fiction will be evaluated on a gift by gift basis.
How to Use this Service
Anyone interested in donating materials should contact the Donations Librarian at 414-410-4261 or via email. Materials may be dropped off at the library during our hours of operation. The Donations Librarian will discuss and/or examine the material(s) with the donor and indicate whether or not the gift would be appropriate for the Library. The potential donor can fill out a Donation Form in person or online. The Library will ordinarily accept all gifts offered by faculty members at Cardinal Stritch University. The same restrictions as to retention and addition to the collection outlined above apply to faculty gifts. The Donation Librarian will retain a copy of the donation/gift paperwork/inventory.
- Donations that are delivered without prior arrangement with the library or the Shipping/Maintenance Department are processed in the following manner:
- Donor's name and address are recorded.
- Cartons are marked with donor's name and date of receipt.
- Donations Librarian will contact the donor.
- Donations arriving by mail: unsolicited materials arriving via the mail will be routed to the Donations librarian for evaluation.
Additional Information and Forms:
- Asking for acknowledgement
- Donors may request a letter of acknowledgement for their gift. Acknowledgement letters will come from the University Advancement Office, not the Library. If the donor indicates a letter of acknowledgement is desired, the Donations Librarian will provide the relevant information to the Advancement Office and it will send a letter of acknowledgement to the donor. Donated materials are not routinely book plated. Exceptions are: memorial gifts, selected special collections and materials judged appropriate by the librarians.
- Library does not do appraisals
The Library will not appraise any donation. Any appraisal of a donation to the Library for income tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor. Donors can use the Internal Revenue Service Pamphlet 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property as a guide. A summary of the appraisal must accompany the donation.
- Donation Form
Quick Reference Guides