Doctorate in Language and Literacy
Are you looking to become a literacy leader? This degree will allow you to help others succeed in this world. In this program, we focus on the passion of reading and teaching reading. You can expect to learn how individuals learn to read, acquire knowledge, and how to access knowledge through language.
Literacy Licensures at Stritch
The Doctorate in Language and Literacy (Ph.D.) program prepares you to act as a literacy leader who understands theoretical and instructional models of literacy; recognizes new literacy trends in our digital age; services literacy acquisition, development and instruction; and fosters systemic change in your organization and community.
The program is designed for educators, professionals and researchers with a background and/or interest in literacy, curriculum and instruction, speech and language or a related field. Faculty members integrate their collective expertise in reading, curriculum and instruction, writing, special education, and speech and language pathology in the design and delivery of our innovative program.
Successful completion of the program may result in Reading Teacher (license #1316) and Reading Specialist (license #5017) certification from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI). This may require additional coursework depending upon your prior experience, and is subject to approval by the Wisconsin DPI.
Application for admission
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, including evidence of master’s degree completion
- Evidence of grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in master’s coursework
- Portfolio consisting of, but not limited to, the criteria listed below
- Curriculum vitae that documents formal education, professional work experience, honors, achievements, and activities related to education.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Please provide a personal statement, no longer than 1 page in length, discussing your professional achievements, your research interests and your positive impact on the community you serve.
- A writing sample consisting of a formal essay with a total of 4 pages, double spaced, 11 pt. font total for all seven prompts.
- Tell us about a time when you received professional feedback and how you acted upon it.
- Tell us about a time when you effectively collaborated with someone else and what was the outcome? Was this chosen or assigned collaboration?
- Discuss a time when you demonstrated cultural competence.
- Discuss a time when you had to have a difficult conversation with a co-worker or a direct report. How was the relationship with the person following the conversation?
- Discuss a time when you participated in a significant change process.
- Discuss the role that service has played in your personal and professional life.
- Discuss the role or appeal of one of the following Francsican Values for you: Making Peace, Building a Caring Community, Showing Compassion, Reverencing all of Creation.
The Value of a Ph.D. Degree
Research is how we get to know things, uncover and recover what we know. Getting a Ph.D. at Stritch allows for areas of growth in research and building the body of knowledge.
Doctor in Philosophy (Ph.D.) is an academic or professional degree that allows students to focus their area of research around their specialized field.
This is the highest level of degree a student could receive from a university.
At Stritch, we want students who have a vision for their practice to research, improve their practice and become better community servants.
This degree will allow you to earn a higher salary in your specialized field. The skills you gain throughout your academic journey will be transferrable to your professional career.
A Prayer for Readers
Our Franciscan values are centers in front of the work that we do and about bringing alive God's Kingdom on earth.
"Lord, please use our words to touch the hearts of our readers"
For more information please contact admissions or the program faculty.
Joseph C. Moylan
Chair - Doctoral Programs, District Administrator Licensure Program|Faculty - Leadership Doctorate