The Doctorate in Leadership for the Advancement of Learning and Service in Higher Education (Ed.D. or Ph.D.) will prepare you to make significant contributions to your organization and will help you become a transformational leader in higher education. The program is designed for current and aspiring leaders working in two- and four-year colleges and universities and community and technical colleges who seek to be a catalyst for meaningful change within their organization.
The curriculum for the Doctorate in Leadership for the Advancement of Learning and Service in Higher Education focuses on contemporary leadership theories with a strong foundation in research. A broad understanding of the complex nature of higher education is woven throughout the curriculum, but the primary focus of the program is to prepare you to lead your organization through meaningful change and transformation. Rather than simply building your knowledge of higher education theory, you will learn to become a leader who will function effectively within your organization to create positive change.
The specific degree requirements on the website are for illustrative purposes and may change at any time. Please contact the Registrar's Office, Academic Advising or refer to the course catalog for detailed program requirements.
To be considered for admission into the program, candidates must submit the following:
Application for admission
Ph.D Application Questions
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, including evidence of master's degree completion.
- Evidence of grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in master's coursework.
- Portfolio consisting of, but not limited to, the criteria listed below
- Curriculum vitae that documents formal education, professional work experience, honors, achievements, and activites related to education.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Please provide a personal statement, no longer than 1 page in length, discussing your professional achievements, your research interests and your positive impact on the community you serve.
- A writing sample consisting of a formal essay with a total of 4 pages, double spaced, 11 pt. font total for all seven prompts.
- Tell us about a time when you received professional feedback and how you acted upon it.
- Tell us about a time when you effectively collaborated with someone else and what was the outcome? Was this chosen or assigned collaboration?
- Discuss a time when you demonstrated cultural competence.
- Discuss a time when you had to have a difficult conversation with a co-worker or a direct report. How was the relationship with the person follow the conversation?
- Discuss a time when you participated in a significant change process.
- Discuss the role that service has played in your personal and professional life.
- Discuss the role or appeal of one of the following Franciscan Values for you: Making Peace, Building a Caring Community, Showing Compassion, Reverencing all of Creation.