Dr. Daniel J. Scholz became interim president of Cardinal Stritch University on August 1, 2020. Scholz has served as Stritch’s Vice President of Academic Affairs since 2018. Scholz joined the University in 2004 and has served as a tenured faculty member and chair of the Religious Studies department, executive director of the Saint Clare Center for Ministry and Leadership, and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. “I am humbled by this opportunity and am honored to be asked to fill this leadership role,” said Scholz. “I look forward to working closely with the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi and the Board of Trustees to ensure the rich legacy of our University is not just preserved, but built upon. I value Stritch’s mission and am committed to the success of our students, faculty and staff and all members of the Stritch family.” Scholz has more than 35 years of teaching experience at high school, college and graduate school levels. He began teaching theology in 1985 at Pius XI High School where he also served as theology department chair for 10 years. He taught biblical studies at Saint Francis de Sales Seminary for six years before coming to Stritch.
He was one of 32 individuals admitted into the first class of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee Order of Catechists in November 2019. Members incorporate and integrate the teaching of the doctrine of the Catholic faith into their lives and carry on a commitment to prayer, community and service, witnessing the Catholic faith in word and deed.
Scholz earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in psychology and comparative religions in 1982 and a master’s degree in Christian theology from Mundelein College in 1985. He received a doctorate from Marquette University in 1997 in biblical theology. Scholz is an active member of the Catholic Biblical Society and the Society of Biblical Literature. He has published three books with Anselm Academic:
- Jesus in the Gospels and Acts (2009; revised edition, 2013),
- The Pauline Letters (2013), and most recently,
- The Catholic Epistles, Hebrews, and Revelation (2016).
Scholz also co-authored five workbooks for Liturgy Training Publications and has written weekly pieces for Liturgical Publications, Inc., since 2004.
He and his wife Bonnie have three adult children and belong to Christ King Parish in Wauwatosa.
- B.A., Univ Of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
- M.A., Mundelein College
- Ph.D., Marquette University
- New Testament
- Historical Jesus
- Historical Paul
Publications & Presentations
- Dr. Scholz is an active member of the Catholic Biblical Society and the Society of Biblical Literature. He has published three books with Anselm Academic: Jesus in the Gospels and Acts (2009; revised edition, 2013), The Pauline Letters (2013), and most recently, The Catholic Epistles, Hebrews, and Revelation (2016). Dr. Scholz as also co-authored five workbooks for Liturgy Training Publications and has written weekly pieces for Liturgical Publications, Inc. since 2004.
- Dr. Scholz gives presentations and lectures in biblical studies at regional and national professional conferences, and in parishes and schools throughout the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.
"I remain at Cardinal Stritch University because I believe in our Franciscan Mission and I believe in Catholic education. As a Catholic, Franciscan University, Stritch provides students of all ages with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary for success in our 21st century world."
- Daniel J. Scholz