Skip to main content

International Student FAQs

What happens to my status?

Students will remain “legal” and in-status, but there is work to do to keep your status maintained.

How will Optional Practical Training be impacted?

Students who are currently on Post-Completion or STEM OPT:

Proceed as usual. Verify that all information on their Form I-20 is correct and that all employers are reported to Stritch.

Students who are graduating this spring:

You may still apply for OPT by completing an OPT request form and submitting it for processing. Make sure to change your address in your USCIS online account. (Form AR-11)

How can I transfer my visa to another institution?

You can transfer your visa to another institution through the Teach-Out or Transfer Institutions. Once you have made your decision about your enrollment for the fall, complete a SEVIS Transfer Out form and submit it for processing. If your new institution asks for a Transfer In form, please submit it for processing.

My visa is expiring or is expired. What should I do?

As long as you maintain status with Stritch or another institution in the U.S., your Form I-20 keeps you in-status while in here. If you do not plan to leave the U.S. this summer, there is no need for you to renew your visa.

If you need to leave the U.S. with an expired visa, you will need to renew your F-1 visa before you reenter the U.S. Consult with Matt Weiss on next steps on how to best do this given you specific situation.