Skip to main content

Student Accessibility Services

Services for students requiring accommodations

The mission of the office of Student Accessibility Services at Cardinal Stritch University is to assist in creating a campus community where otherwise qualified students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to participate in all aspects of the educational environment. Disabilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Learning disabilities
  • Physical disabilities
  • Emotional and mental challenges
  • Pregnancy


If you have questions about Student Accessibility Services, contact us by email or call the Accessibility Services Coordinator.


If you have questions about Student Accessibility Services, contact us by email or call the Accessibility Services Coordinator.

Process for Accessibility Services request

It is the responsibility of the student to keep the University informed of any additional information or changes relating to one's disability that will impact a current program of accommodation. 

Prior to the provision of reasonable accommodations by the University, the student must complete the Accessibility Services Request form, on which the student must identify his or her disability; the course, program of study or activity in which the student is enrolled or scheduled to be enrolled; and the accommodation(s) sought. 

In order to be eligible for reasonable accommodation(s) from the University, the student must provide recent, relevant and comprehensive documentation of the disability. In addition, the forms should be completed by a state licensed psychologist or physician:

For learning disabilities, documentation should address:

  • Background information about the student's history of learning disabilities.
  • A clear diagnosis including an explanation of how the impairment substantially limits the student's learning or other major life activities.
  • Results of testing using appropriate test instruments and an explanation of those test results: achievement, intelligence, executive functioning.
  • Recommendations for accommodations with an explanation of those test results.

Proof of Disability: Students are also required to submit the most recent psychological and/or medical evaluation, complete with all test results and diagnosis. This documentation must be signed, dated and on letterhead. Recent documentation within the past 3 years from the date of the request for accommodations is preferred.

Guidelines, as recommended by the Association on Higher Education and Disabilities, state that all documentation/proof of a disability reports should: 

  • Be on professional letterhead
  • Include name, title, and credentials of the professional providing the documentation.
  • Be dated
  • Be signed
  • Be legible
  • Include diagnosis (appropriate reports/assessments and summary should be included)
  • Include functional limitations resulting from the disability and the potential impact it has on the student’s performance in a postsecondary educational environment
  • Include suggested accommodations
  • Be current (preferably within the last 3 years; the age of acceptable documentation is dependent upon the disabling condition, the current status of the student and the student’s request for accommodations, and determined on a case-by-case basis)

Note about IEPs: While helpful and beneficial for us to have on file, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) on its own is not sufficient documentation. Many times, IEPs do not document an actual diagnosis, so if you are submitting an IEP as documentation, be sure that it is current and specific when describing a student’s identified areas of need and that it includes recent assessment results.

Once the University receives all necessary documentation and reviews the requested accommodations in the context of the factors outlined above, reasonable accommodations available will be discussed in a conference with the student. 

professor helping a student

ESL student request for exam accommodations

Students for whom English is a second language (ESL) who have concerns regarding language proficiency and taking exams under certain time limits can request specific testing accommodations through Student Accessibility Services. Students who are seeking testing accommodations should first touch base with their instructors about the request, and then complete the ESL Student Exam Request Form. If the request is approved by faculty and the ELL Specialist, qualified students may be able to receive up to 50% additional time, for no more than two semesters, on approved exams and may also request the use of a native translation dictionary.

All Accommodation Request Forms must be submitted at least one week before an examination. An ESL accommodation request is a recommendation to be considered by the course professor and is NOT guaranteed. For further details, please review the Request Form, or contact Donney Moroney, Vice President of Student Affairs, or Keeley Madison, ELL Specialist.

Download the ESL Request Form Now
students walking down hallway

Emergency medical withdrawals

Carefully review the Emergency Medical Withdrawal Policy available below for details about the process. Then you can go to the Emergency Withdrawal Portlet in MyStritch to initiate the withdrawal process, complete the forms, and upload required documentation for review by the committee.

Review Policy

Assistive technology

Central Access Reader (CAR) is a free, open source, text-to-speech application designed specifically for students with print-related disabilities. CAR reads Word Docs and pasted text using the voice installed on your computer. CAR has an intuitive interface and many customizable features.

Learn More

We are guided by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments (ADAA) of 2008. Individuals will receive reasonable accommodations according to their needs and the documentation of their disability.

Request More Information

If you have a qualifying disability and are interested in obtaining accommodations from the University, we recommend that you contact our office and begin the registration process as soon as possible after you are admitted. Working with Accessibility Services is an interactive, collaborative process, and your initial outreach will provide detailed information on how to get started and answer frequently asked questions.